Avanti | Now Playing
The Future of Social Media, with Gina Bianchini
Gina Bianchini is the Founder & CEO of Mighty Networks and an expert on network effects businesses. Mighty Networks is a rapidly growing SaaS platform for creating your own network effects brands and businesses –– replacing a blog or website with a niche social network. A Mighty Network employs proprietary algorithms and smart technology to instantly organize members by their location, by the topics they choose, and by the categories they define, generating orders of magnitude more engagement for our customers and their members.
Before Mighty Networks, Gina and Netscape co-founder Marc Andreessen launched Ning, a pioneering global platform for creating niche social networks. Under her leadership, Ning grew to 90 million people in 300,000 active social networks across subcultures, professional networks, entertainment, politics, and education.
In addition to Mighty Networks, Gina serves on the board of directors of Scripps Networks (NASDAQ: SNI), an $11 billion dollar public company which owns HGTV, The Food Network, and The Travel Channel. She also co-founded LeanIn.Org with Sheryl Sandberg, an organization dedicated to women leaning into their ambitions, where she launched Lean In Circles worldwide.
Gina and Mighty Networks have been featured in Fast Company, Wired, Vanity Fair, Bloomberg, and The New York Times. She has appeared on Charlie Rose, CNBC, and CNN. She grew up in Cupertino, California, graduated with honors from Stanford University, started her career in the nascent High Technology Group at Goldman, Sachs & Co., and received her M.B.A from Stanford Business School.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Gina’s prediction for the future of social media and how she tries to cater to that
- Benefits to having a clear picture of your ideal world
- How software can play the role of a fabulous dinner party host
- Enabling a new breed of digital entrepreneurs
- Gina’s utopian view of social media
- Why Facebook groups don’t accomplish the utopian social media world Gina has in mind
- Mighty Networks, and what distinguishes this platform from the current world of social media
- The problem with the current framework of social media
- Network effects; what this means and how Gina plans to make it more widely known
- Why everyone should be able to create network effects
- The revenue model of Mighty Networks
- How Gina stays mission-driven and doesn’t get overwhelmed by the big picture
- The importance of knowing who your customer is and what they want in order to grow as an entrepreneur
- Strategies for seeing around a corner when your vision is blocked
- Connecting your product or service with your customer’s needs